Monday, August 06, 2007

food, food, glorious food!

Miles tried some homemade sweet potatoes last week with pretty good results so I snapped some pics. I actually had never made a sweet potato before, but my friend Cristi told me just to throw it in the oven for an hour and when it was done, the skin would just fall off and it would be super soft and ready to mash. She was so right! Then I just froze the potato into ice cube trays and I have instant single serving sizes to thaw and eat. So easy! Thanks Cristi!

I just made mashed carrots today and Miles tried them for the first time as well today. He's a good eater (if you can't tell by looking at him!) I'm trying the baby sign language too, by signing "more?" to see if he wants more. So far, it just makes him smile when I do it. I imagine it will be months before he signs back to me.

Here's some fun with sweet potatoes.


He seemed a bit thirsty and I had some expressed breast milk ready to go, so I threw some in a sippy cup and thought I would see how he would do. He definitely knew what to do with it...

He just couldn't quite get it to his mouth just quite right!



He definitely tried though!

He eventually got it to his mouth, but the cup was actually leaking all over him, which pretty much defeated the purpose, so back into the bottle it went. Next time I attempted giving him some milk to try without a sippy lid. That was a bit adventurous and he actually ended up taking a couple of baby sips on his own. So we'll work on that. He's still nursing, so the cup is still just for practice.

By the way, speaking of food, I have been reading a really good book called the Healthiest Kid in the Neighborhood. (It's great for adults to read too, because we all eat junk, not just kids.) It's such a great book to read right now as I'm starting Miles on solid foods because it reminds me of how important good whole food is for his developing brain and body. I am figuring if I could ever have the healthiest kid in the neighborhood (which honestly, I wouldn't want the healthiest kid, just for all the kids to be healthy) I figure I need to work on that myself first because Miles will do what I do. I realized this the other day when I was eating a piece of cake at my neighbor's house and Miles was staring at me with eyes that were pretty much yelling "Where's my piece?" That was the first time I felt really guilty eating in front of him without sharing. Of course, I wouldn't feed him junk food, but it sure made me look at what I have been eating. I have made it a new goal for me to really work on eating better because honestly, how could I ever expect Miles to make healthy food choices if I'm not?

Lots of pictures coming soon. I had a busy weekend followed by a very lazy Sunday, but I have some great pics of John and Miles playing the keyboard together, some snuggle time (what's new?) and an attempt at a photo shoot with Miles, though he just wanted to chew on his blankie.

No comments: