Monday, July 09, 2007

laundry day...


Way back when we first found out we were pregnant, John asked me if we would do cloth diapers. I was like, "John, be serious!" Well, fast forward to when we were ordering our cloth diapers and John said, "So, can we do cloth wipes too?" Again, I rolled my eyes at John and said, "Be serious John, we'll be lucky if I can make cloth diapers work." Well, once again, my husband has known best and we are now the owners and users of cloth wipes. (I'm sure everybody is sick of hearing us talk about this stuff, but honestly, it's SO the way to go!)

Here's a shipment of cloth wipes purchased from www.Emibeans.com a work at home mom who sews them out of various soft materials. I could have just cut up a bunch of old t shirts, but it's more fun to have some cute fuzzy ones and plus, these won't get all frayed and fall apart. Anyway, we have been using them for almost a week now and they work great. They are so easy, less mess and I'm excited about making less trash and not having to buy as many wipes now.
Here's Miles just after waking up the other day. He has been waking up on his belly and he is always full of smiles when he wakes up. It's like Christmas morning every day when we wake up to his babbles and scurry upstairs to say hello and get one of his grins. We stole our morning song from a Tropicana orange juice commercial when we sing, "Good Morning! Good Morning, it's a, Miles Alexander Morning!" Yep, we are a weird family...but a happy one!


Here's Miles helping me fold some dipes. (I call diapers dipes, if you haven't noticed.) Ok, I'll shush about dipes, but I will say one more thing. I went to my first La Leche League meeting today. The women were all so beautiful, smart, open and...relaxed. It was really interesting and quite different from my other mom group that I go to at the hospital, though that group is great for it's own reasons too. The LLL group is a bit more natural in it's approach to solid foods and a bit less mainstream evidenced by the fact that just about everybody in the room had their kids in cloth diapers and there were a couple of women who had homebirths. I"m amazed when I hear of people birthing at home. I remember when I was pregnant how I yearned to have a natural birth. In my mind, I think I figured my yoga practice was so advanced that I could really do it all on my own and leave the experience ready to breastfeed immediately, swing by the mall on my way home from the hospital to do a few hours of shopping while Miles napped in the stroller and then clean the entire house once I got home. HA! The very second my water broke I hightailed it to the hospital so quickly I actually forgot to pack my hair stuff. If you know me, you know that's a big deal.

So, I fit in a bit in this new group, but not entirely. I'm looking forward to continuing to attend both of my mom groups when I can as I find my own path on this journey of motherhood. I have to say I find it interesting that the most mysterious part of navigating motherhood is deciphering all of these different viewpoints on parenting from the books I read, the groups, our pediatrician, my friends and family and find my own way with John. When I close my ears to all of the voices I hear and just hold Miles, my heart tells me what is right. It's just not always easy to hear it through all the noise. ; )

No comments: