Monday, October 01, 2007

Happy 8 month birthday Miles!

Eight months ago I was blaming a rather large fondue dinner on the so-called indigestion I was experiencing. I remember joking with my neighbor about how we hadn't fully packed our bags for the hospital yet and how relieved I was to have another week until Miles' planned c-section. Then, feeling absolutely rotten from what I assumed was over-indulgence, I went to bed leaving the house a mess, myself un-showered and the bags still unpacked.

Well, as the legend goes, Miles scared the complete daylights out of me by breaking my water unexpectedly in the middle of the night and leaving me, quite literally, with my pants caught around my ankles.

In the 8 months since, I think we have recovered from being the completely freaked out parents-to be and have, thankfully, grown into completely new beings that actually know a bit about caring for, enjoying and best of all, loving our precious little guy.

It has been a bit over a week that Miles has taken his first few crawling movements and that kid is OFF! He moves so fast and is interested in everything except toys. He LOVES cords, which, keeps me busy. I can baby proof all I want, but am I supposed to get rid of all the lamps in my house? Daddy's office is a utopia of cords, cables and wires as well. His favorite is daddy's spiral headphone cord. Try prying a cable out of Miles' hands too. When he wants something, boy can that kid put a lock down on his tiny little fingers!

Today I decided to just let him crawl as far as he wanted and he started in our living room and crawled, giggling the whole way, through our entry way, through the laundry room and would have crawled right out the door if I would let him. Because of this, I have found a new found love for our Johnny Jump up. When I absolutely need to cook something I can pop him in it in the doorway right next to me and he goes NUTS jumping in that thing. I have also found that plopping him down in grass stops him in his tracks as he is fascinated by the new sensation and will spend time checking it out.

So I"m figuring out little ways to keep him isolated to one area, but I'm sure I'll be joining the ranks of my friends soon who have barricaded their house with a menagerie of baby gates. I have always been the clueless kid-less one standing helpless in my friend's foyer wandering how the hell to work the baby-proof latch on the gate to get into their kitchen. So hopefully now that I have had a baby perhaps I will posses the knowledge to work the mysterious latches. I'll keep you posted. No baby gates as of yet and I'm loving it.

Here is curious Miles, discovering the world now that he can move around in it:

The pugs are amazingly patient with Miles. I wonder if that is from 6 years of me dressing them in sweaters...Anyway, please excuse the poor quality of photograph. I had some blonde moments this week choosing my camera settings. Which is really too bad because this is a hilarious photo, I think. By the way, Whisper's foot went straight into Miles' mouth after I snapped this photo. I'm sure there is some joke about putting your foot in your mouth I could make here, but I really don't have the energy to figure it out.

This poor plant has been moved outside for obvious reasons but will probably soon end up a foreign exchange student at Grandma's house.

I'm sure John's bonsai tree is getting pretty nervous...


Well, I better go to bed. My new life with a traveling baby is exhausting. I fell asleep on the couch tonight at 7:30 and woke up at 9 PM with sticky contacts and completely disoriented. Ugh! That is the worst feeling! Nighty night.

No comments: